Monday, October 18, 2010

Sixteen Tons

Hebrews 10:15-18

And the Holy Spirit also testifies that this is so. For he says,
“This is the new covenant I will make

with my people on that day, says the Lord:

I will put my laws in their hearts,

and I will write them on their minds.”
Then he says,
“I will never again remember

their sins and lawless deeds.”
And when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices. (NLT)

“Our former enemies sometimes praise what we are doing and wish us well. Occasionally, they will offer assistance. It should not matter, however, if someone does throw us out of his office. We have made our demonstration, done our part. It’s water over the dam.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 70)

Gonna lay down my heavy load
down by the riverside,
amends made —
upfront and honest,
water over the dam.
Guilt has to have a greater density
than osmium, much less lead.
Heavier than a heavy heart,
weight piled on weight with heavy hand,
guilt crushes.
How delightful,
lighter than air,
to walk away from guilt,
leaving it with
lighthearted
heartfelt
amends.

For new life,
for release,
for lightness,
thank you, God.

Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible,
New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2004.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.,
Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

No comments: