Sunday, March 9, 2008

Like the birds of the air.

I had a dear friend who was a birder. She stood at my kitchen window once and named maybe 20 species of birds she saw. Some of the names I'd never heard of! She made me aware of how prevalent birds are, all around us. 

This morning I had the opportunity to sit in a natural setting and contemplate, meditate, and pray. And I realized God is like the birds. Before my friend made me aware of birds, I seldom noticed them at all. Once I realized how much they meant to her, I began to see them everywhere, to hear them when I couldn't see them. God's like that. Whether you notice him or not, he's there. And taking the time to realize he's there, to see his presence, hear his voice, makes the world a far better place.

I'm about to leave for a trip to Spain and Portugal. The last time I traveled internationally I was two weeks abstinent. Now I'll pass the one year three month mark while I'm there. I know the abstinence will work as it did that other time. Now, though, I'll take you along with me, reporting on my spiritual journey and some on the physical one. For now, good night from Texas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i cut out a catalog offering several years ago of a wall plaque with the Latin inscription 'vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.' the Latin teacher at my school helped me translate it: 'bidden (called) or unbidden, God draws near.'

bh