Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Whatsoever!

Consider Proverbs 23:7.

As I traveled the other day, I listened to Chuck C, the tapes from which the book A New Pair of Glasses was compiled. He said, "We think and ourselves become that which we think about." I realized the truth inherent in the statement--and that he was far from the first to have said it. King James Version says, "For as he thinketh in his heart so is he." 

I've struggled with the concept of "recovered" or "recovering" or simply, "I'm a compulsive overeater." I've shied away from "recovering" and would feel like a fraud to use recovered, but I'm well aware the Big Book says they're 100 "recovered" alcoholics. I still protest alcohol has to be easier to recover from than food, but that's part of what I'm talking about, the point I'm aiming at (and not hitting very well it seems.) But am I reinforcing failure by saying I'm a compulsive overeater? Does the suggestion or assertion of saying I'm recovering become a self-fulfilling prophecy? I know this program isn't about mind games. But I also know I can use mind games to cripple the program, and I think I'm doing that. 

I once got license plates that could have caused officers to be more diffident about enforcing speeding violations. I found they worked. I didn't drive that fast with the fact I was an official proclaimed on my license plates. They did become a good way to keep from getting tickets--because my behavior justified it. (I'd gotten only one in 40+ years of driving at the time, so it wasn't really a huge issue.) 

Another AA speaker, Patti O, says, "Rationalization, justification, and denial. When I'm explaining it to you, I'm hearing it, and when I'm hearing it I'm believing it." So, does it work the right way as well as the wrong way? We'll see. Hello, I'm OAStepper and I'm a recovering compulsive overeater.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, i think there will always be a tension there. on the question of sin, from which Christians are 'in recovery,' (!) there is benefit in declaring ourselves, as the Word does, 'the righteousness of God in Christ,' 'more than conquerors,' 'seated with Christ in heavenly places.' there is also benefit in reminding ourselves 'if we say we have no sin, we lie and the truth is not in us,' 'not as though i had attained or were already perfect,'add to your faith virtue,' etc. one phrase used to describe the life we live is 'already and not yet.' positionally, we are perfect before God because of faith in Christ's atoning work. experientially, we are still a work in progress. so you are both 'recovered' and 'recovering.' not much help, i know. :) bh