Thursday, June 24, 2010

Festering Gunk

Hebrews 2:10

God, for whom and through whom everything was made, chose to bring many children into glory. And it was only right that he should make Jesus, through his suffering, a perfect leader, fit to bring them into their salvation. (NLT)

“Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end.

“We have shown how we got out from under…. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 152


Scraping barrel bottom –
garners festering gunk,
escapes ego’s inflation,
leads to U-turn
toward better, higher, desirable.
Scraping barrel bottom –
qualifies as expert,
slants insight to identify
with other barrel scrapers
long after barrel’s left behind.
My hand to yours, misery shared,
hope handed down to hopeless,
my barrel-bottom recovery
proof abrasive annihilation
isn’t necessary, isn’t inevitable.
I put my hand in yours – from the bottom
or the top – means I’ll never
barrel-bottom scrape
again.

God, I thought you’d left, deserted me,
cruel, heartless – until I found
how much despair
presages ecstasy.

Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible,
New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2004.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.,
Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

No comments: