Thursday, February 18, 2021

Free!

 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. ~ Galatians 1:10 (NIV)

That the man who is making the approach has had the same difficulty, that he obviously knows what he is talking about, that his whole deportment shouts at the new prospect that he is a man with a real answer, that he has no attitude of Holier Than Thou, nothing whatever except the sincere desire to be helpful; that there are no fees to pay, no axes to grind, no people to please, no lectures to be endured – these are the conditions we have found most effective. (Alcoholics Anonymous, pages 18-19)

No people to please – how liberating!
I’ve tried all my life to please people,
to follow the rules,
to go with the flow,
to not make waves,
to blend in.
I’ve tried all my life to disappear,
to not be seen
at least not in a bad light,
a way that would reflect badly
on my parents,
my school,
my town,
my profession,
the church
I’ve now no people to please!
What you think of me
is none of my business!
What God thinks of me —
that’s my business.
But when I’m showing up,
asking him to tell me what to do
and doing it,
I’m free!

Free at last, free at last,
thanks, God, I’m free at last!




 

 

No comments: