Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Comfortable Abstinence

I tried to post this by email Sunday morning, and it didn't work, so I've cut and pasted it the "old fashioned" way.
____

Since Thursday I've been visiting my son and daughter-in-law. The occasion for the visit, by far my longest in their home to date, was my son's knee surgery. We arrived at the hospital before six Friday morning and stayed there until about 3:30. He is doing well, able to navigate around the house well, the biggest difficulty getting to his feet. He has a CPM machine to use six hours a day, two injections in his stomach twice a day, a breathing machine, leg exercises, and a bevy of pain and other medications, but he's doing well. Still, it's been a stressful weekend. My abstinence? Imperfect. But not for what I ate--for not getting in everything I needed to eat on my food plan.

My daughter-in-law was clipping coupons this morning and found one for Cold Stone Creamery. Pleased, she clipped it. I said I had intended to eat at the rather new Cold Stone Creamery in the town where I lived, but it wouldn't happen now. She said they were open on Sunday, and I answered it wasn't in my food plan. She and her mother discussed how wonderful Krispy Kreme donuts are when they're fresh. I never experienced that, know now I never will. And neither conversation even remotely triggered my longings. I found the weekend remarkable in the ease with which abstinence has become a way of life. What a difference in my life in every possible way! Wow!

No comments: