Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thinking about Uriah the (Innocent Victim) Hittite

Consider II Samuel 11:5-14.

As I sat in Sunday school this morning, the lesson dealt with the wrongs done by David and Bathsheba. The statement was made that Uriah the Hittite was totally innocent, and in my mind I started watching him write a 4th step inventory on the events. Certainly David and Bathsheba can be seen to have done wrong in the situation. But could Uriah find wrongs he did? I think he could.

Where was I selfish?
  • I wanted to show the king how a Hittite was loyal, that we were not just the leftovers from a people conquered two hundred years earlier, that we have spunk and make great warriors. I wanted respect from the king.
  • I wanted to look good, to have people know I hadn't even walked a stone's throw away to see my wife, that I cared about all the other soldiers out in the field who couldn't see their wives.
  • I wanted to look good to the king and his close advisers in the same way, so I disobeyed his direct command to go to my house.
  • I was full of pride the king wanted to eat and drink with me.
  • I thought of my reputation and not the fact Bathsheba was alone and might need me, even briefly.
How was I dishonest?
  • I should have let my wife know I was in Jerusalem and I didn't.
  • I pretended it was all about the other soldiers and the Ark of the Covenant when I just wanted to look good.
  • I convinced myself my depriving myself would make my fellows feel better about their own situation.
How was I self-seeking?
  • I was thinking about myself and my ability to impress the king more than my wife.
  • I set aside the scruples about not making myself comfortable in light of my fellows in the field when the king offered me drink and food at his table.
How was I frightened?
  • The king had invited me to the palace, and I didn't know why. I wasn't about to give him anything to criticize me about.
Yep. Uriah was certainly victimized by King David, and depending on what independence Bathsheba had in the drama perhaps by her. But like OAs who proclaim they've done nothing wrong to inventory, that's a lie we tell ourselves.

No comments: