Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Words of the Amen!

Consider Revelation 3:14.

I've read over it time and time again because I love the words to the church at Laodicea, but the first phrase...that didn't grab me until today. "These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation." (NIV) Wow!

Amen in Greek of course means "So be it!" God told Moses, "I am who I am." He directed that Moses tell the Israelites "I am" sent him. Does that sound presumptive? Yes! Of course. Is it boastful? Nope. To tell the truth about who you are can sound boastful, even to yourself. But if it is the truth, it may actually be a duty to say it. A very painful and difficult duty for a diffident person, but a duty.

We're within weeks of the presidential nomination conventions here in the United States. The media is aghast at the revelations about one of the eliminated candidates, proclaiming, "Just think, he could have been our NOMINEE." The remaining candidates stand daily before the public, telling us they're the best possible choice for the office. Few people believe them. Naw, that's not necessarily true. I don't believe them. But that's not the issue. I got into this to talk about how hard it is to run for office, to put yourself out there and ask for votes. Gee, I hate even to ask for money for worthwhile causes! But to ask people to vote for me? I've tried it. It's excruciating. But if all people of good character shy away from talking about their virtues, we'll have only people of low character running the nation, the state, the county, and the city. God help us then!

"I am." God is who God is. I am who I am. If I am the most qualified person for a job, maybe it's my duty to subject myself to the scrutiny of people who think my truth is my boast.

Talk about a selection process, Moses didn't seek out the role of savior of Israel. He went kicking and screaming, telling God he couldn't speak effectively, that nobody would believe him...in the end he just flat begged God to send somebody else. He didn't want to go. But he was up to the job, and God knew it. God woud not have selected him had he not had the leadership abilities needed. If God's sending you to speak to a newcomer or to a meeting or to lead the country, he knows what he's doing. These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. You want to give the commission a little more credibility? God doesn't send us to do things we can't do. He is absolutely awesome, and with his direction and in his service, so are you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good words, OAS. another way to say it is the cliche 'God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.' Gideon and many others demonstrate that truth and so can we. bh