Saturday, September 4, 2010

Melchizedek and Ebby

Hebrews 5:4-6

And no one can become a high priest simply because he wants such an honor. He must be called by God for this work, just as Aaron was. That is why Christ did not honor himself by assuming he could become High Priest. No, he was chosen by God, who said to him,

“You are my Son.


Today I have become your Father.”

And in another passage God said to him,

“You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.” (NLT)

“You will be most successful with alcoholics if you do not exhibit any passion for crusade or reform. Never talk down to an alcoholic from any moral or spiritual hilltop; simply lay out the kit of spiritual tools for his inspection. Show him how they worked with you. Offer him friendship and fellowship. Tell him that if he wants to get well you will do anything to help.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 95)

God doesn’t choose the qualified,
he qualifies the chosen.
Of myself, I’m nothing, powerless.
Powerless over what I put in my body,
powerless over my family,
powerless over my future,
powerless to carry the message.
Like Melchizedek for Abraham,
Ebby for Bill,
I may be a ship in the night,
forgotten but for how God used me
to touch a life.
That’s fine with me.
God help me, though, if
the call is to be Abraham or Bill!
But like Isaiah, I stand on holy ground
and say, “I’m here, God. Use me.”

I’m here, God. Use me.
And qualify me for the call.

Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible,
New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2004.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.,
Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

No comments: