Thursday, September 16, 2010

Not God

Hebrews 6:13-17

When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself, saying, "I will surely bless you and give you many descendants.” And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.

Men swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument. Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. (NIV)

“Here are thousands of men and women, worldly indeed. They flatly declare that since they have come to believe in a Power greater than themselves, to take a certain attitude toward that Power, and to do certain simple things, there has been a revolutionary change in their way of living and thinking. In the face of collapse and despair, in the face of total failure of their human resources, they found that a new power, peace, happiness, and sense of direction flowed into them. (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 50)

Funny.
You have to believe
there’s a god
and you’re not it.
Unless you’re God.
But I’m not.
I can’t swear on me
’cause I can’t deliver
but thank God, I don’t need to.
I show up, suit up,
do what God says,
and leave the results to him.
Works for me.
Yeah! It works
for me.

God, relieve me of the bondage of self
that I may better do your will.

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE,
NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®.
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica.
Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments: