Tuesday, October 5, 2010

New Life

Hebrews9:9-10

This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order. (NIV)

“We, in our turn, sought the same escape with all the desperation of drowning men. What seemed at first a flimsy reed, has proved to be the loving and powerful hand of God. A new life has been given us or, if you prefer, ‘a design for living’ that really works.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 28)

Easter.
New life, resurrection,
new birth,
a design for living that works!
Only looking back can I see how hard
I tried, how many ways I attempted
to claim sanity,
to heal myself.
My gifts, my sacrifices,
my determination
were only ceremonial,
just lame attempts
flimsy reeds.
Useful for seeing how great this is,
for relating to others still clinging
to flimsy reeds.

God, you sought me
when I was too busy to find you.
Thanks for the patience.

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE,
NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®.
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica.
Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments: