Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions Begone

I've been absent. I'll not be. Or at least I'm not right now.
 
My parents were married 67 years, and my father's death on Christmas Eve ended the count, but we're at peace. His quality of life the last few years made them painful to watch, and Mother's doing okay, so all is well. But moving on, here's a poem I wrote instead of recommitting to the old list of resolutions.
 
Resolutions Begone

January first,
a day of beginnings they say.
A day of failures past, of guilt.
No longer the first of three hundred
sixty-five, a reprieve stands waiting.
One day. This day. Forget the second,
third, July 23, November 4.
Twenty-four hours of recovery.
One day, today, the whole future ahead,
guilt behind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder to leave the guilt behind and the reprieve that awaits each new day. I will seize the opportunities that lay ahead. Thanks for your positive approach for a new year.