Saturday, August 28, 2010

Apples to Oranges

Hebrews 4:14-16

Christ Is Our High Priest

So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

“After your man has gone along without drinking for a few months, you may be able to make use of his services with other employees who are giving you the alcoholic run-around – provided, of course, they are willing to have a third party in the picture. An alcoholic who has recovered, but holds a relatively unimportant job, can talk to a man with a better position. Being on a radically different basis of life, he will never take advantage of the situation.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 146)

Fair’s fair.
Rules are rules.
I can’t compete with Superman’s
strength, flight, imperviousness.
But some other sexagenarian woman
I’ll take on.
Don’t lecture me, preach to me,
tell me my weaknesses
until you’ve been there, done that,
know the helplessness,
the powerlessness, the humiliation.
I’ll hear you,
I’ll seek your way out,
your helping hand
gladly.
Been there, done that.
Fair’s fair.

God, thanks for understanding us,
for sinking to our mire
in order to lift us
beyond hope’s wildest fancies.

Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible,
New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2004.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.,
Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you for being there every time I call.