Sunday, August 8, 2010

Desert Life

Hebrews 3:17-19

And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert? And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief. (NIV)

“God, they believe, almost owes this recompense on a long overdue account. But the head of the house has spent years in pulling down the structures of business, romance, friendship, health – these things are now ruined or damaged. It will take time to clear away the wreck. Though old buildings will eventually be replaced by finer ones, the new structures will take years to complete.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 123)

Time.
Right now is all I’ve got,
so God, you can fix it all
right now.
I’m here. I’m willing.
I’ve changed, you know,
set aside childish things,
taken on the right path.
Why must I struggle still?
Don’t you understand, I’m here,
ready,
willing – or at least willing to be willing.
Tell him I’ve changed,
he’s to respect me now.
Tell her I’m honest now.
What? I must prove it?
Do it?
Live it?
Don’t leave me in this desert
I made!

God, was it forty years of amends?
How long did it take
for those children of yours to get it?
And this one?

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE,
NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®.
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica.
Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments: