Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Him or him

Hebrews 3:12-13

See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. (NIV)

“Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God’s will into all of our activities. ‘How can I best serve Thee—Thy will (not mine) be done.’ These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 85)

I sit here,
steeped in resentment,
wanting to respond, to show my holiness.
He’s wrong. He’s arrogant.
He deserves my wrath.
God should strike him down
for treating me like this.
I carry the vision of God’s will
for him, how he should treat me,
how he can serve, be worthy
of respect, of my stopping
this behavior that so irritates him.
I’m not the purveyor of God’s will for him.
If I want to show holiness, worthiness for Him
I have to stop irritating him.
It not about how he treats me.
God will treat me right
if I release the resentment,
exercise proper use
of my will.

I’ve done it, God.
You know he doesn’t deserve it,
turning off my radio
when he came in
and turned on the TV.
He doesn’t deserve it.
But I need your grace, your love,
especially when I long for
at least respect
from him.

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE,
NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®.
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica.
Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments: