Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Letter to my Friend

I don't like the word "sponsee." I like "sponsoree" a tad better but not much. I think "pideon" is cute but wouldn't want to impose it on anyone. I've settled on calling those for whom I am honored to serve as sponsor my "sponsoreds." One tonight has become abstinent recently and is still struggling. I'll share with you what I told her tonight.
Know your decision is for today. Don’t think about forever. I get problems when I look at forever, too. There’s a part of me that thinks I can allow one treat a week or something similar and that thought scares me to death.

My cravings happen most often just after breakfast. I can get up from the table having eaten more than is on the menu I have modified to my food plan (by an ounce of cheese) and still feel like I’m sinking for lack of sugar. I have been going ahead and doing a 150 calorie bar, and I’ve given that up since Friday and feel better about it. This morning I had two cheese sticks when I wanted to have the bar and since I was settling for the cheese sticks and wouldn’t have chosen them, they felt better, and served the purpose without being a reward for failure. My food plan allows either for the morning cravings, but I hope to move away from the need as the weight decreases.

I do understand where you are. And so do you. You’re looking at this well, maturely, seeing what is happening, and I’m proud of you. When you do feel weak, (dizzy and a headache) I believe you should eat slowly more of the same. Take small bites and try to give you stomach an opportunity to catch up. Drink plenty of liquid before and during a meal to help with the full feeling. At some point you may want to add up the calories and see if you really are depriving yourself of what you need to be eating. That’s a possibility. You didn’t gain the weight overnight and losing it overnight feels righteous and glorious, but harming your health to do it is insanity over food in its own right.

God has given you abstinence. He’s not stingy. He gives it over and over again.
    1. I admit I am powerless over food — that my life has become unmanageable.
    2. I believe that a Power greater than me can restore me to sanity.
    3. I make a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God as I understand Him.

Have a blessed and abstinent evening. You have myriad friends. We love you.

No comments: