Sunday, May 23, 2010

Avoiding Stupid Choices

Hebrews 2:2-4

For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;

How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? (KJV)

“Understanding myself now, I fared forth in high hope. For three or four months the goose hung high. I went to town regularly and even made a little money. Surely this was the answer—self knowledge.

"But it was not, for the frightful day came when I drank once more. The curve of my declining moral and bodily health fell off like a ski jump.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 7)

You can’t say I don’t know how –
I’ve watched – lived – the program working.
Divers miracles, indeed, gifts of God
wonders, signs.
Proffered, available,
here for the taking.
Who would decline?
Who would choose
the gloom?
Who would fall away
from truth, from love?
Who would choose defeat?
Cunning, baffling, insidious
it is, this pariah.
I pray I choose the gift today
and each today to come.


God, let me not neglect your grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think i've already said it, but this is going to be a wonderful collection, Stepper! bh