Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thanks for Your Helping Hand

Hebrews 3:7-9

Warning Against Unbelief
“Today when you hear his voice,
don’t harden your hearts
as Israel did when they rebelled,
when they tested me in the wilderness.

There your ancestors tested and tried my patience,
even though they saw my miracles for forty years. (NIV)

“Your candidate may give reasons why he need not follow all of the program. He may rebel at the thought of a drastic housecleaning which requires discussion with other people. Do not contradict such views. Tell him you once felt as he does, but you doubt whether you would have made much progress had you not taken action.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 94)

Insight,
that’s what I lacked.
You’ve shown me how it works.
I know from here I’ll be just fine,
my problems fixed, my life aligned.
I admire your dedication,
your fervor,
but I don’t need
the constant prod,
the repetition.
I thank you for your help.
Yeah, that was me. I said all that.
But now I’m back.
I’m listening.

God, if I could fix it I would have.
Let me let go so you can fix it
and hold it together
as long as I release it to you
each day,
each hour,
each now.

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE,
NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®.
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica.
Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments: